Monday, March 21, 2016

Moment Leaders vs Movement Leaders

Moment Leaders vs Movement Leaders

What do you think about when you hear the term "Leader"? Do you think about yourself in this role or do you see others in this role. I know some people don't see themselves as leaders and the reason is because they do not understand what leadership is. Leadership is NOT a positional title. Leadership is what John Maxwell says "leadership is influence, nothing more, nothing less". Yet, we see consistent power struggles in the workplace with individuals who think themselves as leaders due to their position but have no followers. 

I know I personally see this on the everyday basis and I realized I didn't want to fall in the trap of being a moment leader. I want to do and be more! I want to be a movement leader! God has called me out and I finally stepped up to the call. I said to God, when he called (he has been calling for a while) "Here I am, I'm ready, willingly, and able to make a movement". He never said it would be a walk in the park or easy as pie, but God promised if I was obedient he would take care of the rest. 

John Maxwell taught me the difference between a moment leader and a movement leader and I would like to share that teaching with you: 
Moment Leaders are ones who ask how long will the process take, they love instant gratification, lead with emotion, and are bigger on the outside than on the inside. 

Movement Leaders are the ones who ask how far can we go, knows that anything worth having is never easily obtained and the process is uphill, they lead with character and let's it strength them and lastly, they are bigger on the inside than on the outside. 

So, what type of leader are you? Moment or Movement? I challenge you today to join with me and become a movement leader! 

Dr. Miranda 

No comments:

Post a Comment