Saturday, May 21, 2016

Single Parents

Single Parents 

As a professional life and business  coach as well as a fellow single parent, I have observed the lack of appreciation of single parents and the lack of motivation to chase dreams. Not just from others but from within themselves. 

Oftentimes, they have put their lives and dreams on hold, to dive in and raise their children. They completely stop dreaming and to remotely think about chasing their dream is far fetch. Yet, to all my single parents,  I want you to know that you Matter! All the sacrifices you have made have not been done unnoticed. However, the one thing I've learned as a single mother is to NEVER stop chasing my dream in the process of raising my children. Why? Because it speaks to my character. My drive has also driven my children to strive for their dreams even when they seem unattainable. 

You see, when you stop dreaming and put life on hold, you are in turn telling your children that it's ok to let situations and circumstances get in-between them and their dream. Instead of balancing the best of both worlds. 

As a life and business coach, I have to opportunity to work with people from all walks of life, but my favorite are the single parents who are relentlessly pursuing their dreams while raising their children. I coach men and women who woke up one morning and said "I had enough, I will no longer use the excuse of being a single parent, it will no longer be a barrier to my success or a crutch in my life" and let me tell you, they have reached their set goals and continue to relentlessly chase their dreams. 

Single parents, you matter, you are loved, and you are also the first example of how a man or woman should behave and act. So what are you telling your child(ren) through your actions today? Are you telling them that when they fail they should stop and quit? Are you telling them that life is too hard, so give up? OR Are you telling them they must have endurance, failure is not final and they should never stop being great? 

Yesterday, as I sat in the audience as my oldest son, presented his project with ease and confidence to his class and parents. I smiled and patted myself on the back while saying "great job mom". Why? Well because I know that even though he was scared, he had watched me overcome great challenges while being scared to do so. With that he did it afraid and in that moment, he grew into his next level. 
Our children are reflections of the examples we have put forth when facing crisis, hardships, struggles and life circumstances. They are the mirrors showing us what we are reflecting and showing the world. 

People use to ask me all the time, "how are you a single mother and still had time to finish a Masters and Doctoral program while working full time and raising your children without missing a beat?" 
I say it's tenacity. Which means I continue to relentlessly chase my dreams regardless of my situation or circumstances. 
I wrote a book talking about my journey. So, I challenge you today to invest in the book "The Parables of a Single Mother"  and reflect on how you will attain greatness while raising your children! 
Click the link below to purchase the book: http://www.amazon.com/Parables-Single-Mother-1/dp/1502415909

It will be worth it! 
Dr. Miranda 

No comments:

Post a Comment